Saturday, May 13, 2006

FRIDAY, MAY 5th

Story Time. This is a good one. Today was probably the best day I’ve had since we’ve been here. Let me tell you why.

For the past two days we (our company) have been practicing for the M16 qualifications. I probably already told you about this, but I’ll do it again for the sake of the story. There are 40 targets to shoot between the ranges of 50 meters and 300 meters away. These are timed pop-up targets. So, for example, the 50m target stays up for 3 seconds and the 300m target stays up for 8 seconds.

There are three positions to shoot from: the prone supported (laying down with a rest), the prone unsupported (laying down without a rest), and the kneeling (kneeling ). You only have 40 rounds, so every shot counts. You must hit at least 23 out of 40 to qualify.

If you hit between 23-29, you are considered a Marksman; between 30-35, a Sharpshooter; and between 36-40, an Expert. Each category corresponds to a medal that you wear for the rest of your career in the Army.

Two days ago, on Wednesday, I shot 29 of 40 targets. It wasn’t easy, but I qualified. Yesterday, I shot 21 of 40, so I didn’t even qualify. I was crushed. The day before qualifications and I still wasn’t even good enough. So when I went out today, all I hoped for was to shoot 23. Can you guess what happened yet?

Alright, alright, I’ll tell you.

I shot 38 of 40 my first time. Plus, I had two extra rounds because I held off shooting at the 300m targets thinking I could have extra rounds in case I missed something closer. So basically, I hit every target I shot at. But wait, there’s more.

After I got done shooting, the range master got on the loudspeaker and announced my score as the highest in the company at that point. That was the score to beat. One other person out of the 217 in the company tied my score today. No one beat it.

The captain pinned medals on those who received them. I don’t remember the exact number, but there were less than 10 Experts in our entire company. We had a whole ceremony and everything. The Lt. Colonel even showed up. Wow. But wait, there’s more.

Since two of us were tied, no one could officially hold the title of Top Gun. Yes it’s official, and yes we had a tie breaker. 40 more targets. He hit 29 and I hit 36, which made two Expert qualifications in a row. I am officially the Top Gun of Echo Company, 787th MP Battalion. In short, I’m a badass mofo with an M16.

Anyway, that my ego trip. Be proud, friends and family, even if it was lucky. I have a PT test tomorrow and we start hand-to-hand combat tomorrow as well.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What's up everybody,

I'm writing from ol' Fort Leonard Wood. Today our company got our first pass, so I'm here for only 4 hours, 2 of which was already spent scarfing as much food as possible. So far, I've eaten one large deep dish meat lovers pizza, a cheesy bread, one king size butterfinger, and one king size reese's peanut butter cups. I may puke later, but it was worth it.

BTW, happy mother's day to everyone who reads this (Mom). I hope all is well. I'll probably get passes every couple of weeks from now on, so I'll be checking this site for comments if you want to leave them. It's really encouraging.

I just sent Terrence another two letters, so two more posts should appear by the end of the week. Got to run, thanks for your support.

Anonymous said...

Hey Ben,
Mom and I see that your rank changed on your address from PVT. to SPC. Should we change to SPC on our letters?

I've told the story about your Expert medal so many times Mom won't let me tell it any more.

Glad to hear your diet is back to the basic three food groups; fat, sugar, and salt. Standby, more of those food groups should be arriving shortly.

Love Mom and Dad

Terrence said...

yo Benjamin! Great to hear from you!!

I have a letter going out to you tomorrow and will look for your next letters in the mail over the next few days.

Congrats on the excellent shooting, by the way. All that halo we played really paid off!

Things here are fine, you're not missing much. Keep up the great work.

Anonymous said...

one copy of Half-Life Video Game and Counterstrike Mod = $49.99

53 late night Jack-in-th-Box runs = $246

Electricity and computer equipment for several thousand hours of playing = $2,345

SPC Benjamin Smith, Top Gun = Priceless

Terrence said...

That's funny B.

Anonymous said...

Dude, I just found this comment section... Ben- the fact that you got Top Gun is AMEWSOME, but for some reason, completely unsurprising to me! Who would've ever thought all the hours playing Counterstrike and Halo would pay off so well!'

Behlo- your post had me laughing my arse off!