Sunday, April 30, 2006

FRIDAY, APRIL 21st

Well, I've been much busier these past few days. For the past three days I've been on a field training exercise. Every day we have been in the field (the middle of the woods) doing training. So far, I've learned how to make a tent out of a poncho and a rope; how to navigate using a compass and a military map; how to navigate 10 people at night without use of light or noise; how to search an enemy for weapons (not your everyday friendly police pat-down); how to set up and adjust a perimeter; how to engage unknown persons who approach your perimeter; how to respond and engage ambushes that are both close and far away; how to respond to indirect fire (artillery or mortar rounds); how to safely search and recover dead bodies (bombs are often hidden under dead bodies); and how to effectively remove a tick from my armpit.

So, it sounds fun when I put it on paper, but it's serious work and hard training (not the tick part, but...)

Also, our company has officially transferred to white phase. I believe I explained this earlier, but it's basically the second of three phases in our Basic Training. We have a few more privileges, like not having to march everywhere we go. For example, we are now free to run straight back to the barracks from the chow hall instead of marching back. Yippee skip.

Actually, a great privilege is being able to sing cadence. Cadence is songs you sing in rhythm while you march. So, instead of listening to the drill sergeant say "left, left, left right left," we get to say "I used to date a beauty queen, but now I hold an M16." Marching is more enjoyable now.

Anyways, the more I write the less sleep I'll get.

Benjamin

No comments: