Sunday, April 30, 2006

WEDNESDAY, APRIL 26th

Today was the first day we shot live rounds through our M16. Over the next week or so we will be going to the range every day to prepare for our qualifications.

We were at the range for a total of 10 hours. Throughout the entire day I shot a total of 9 bullets. Hurry up and wait was the mantra of the day.

Actually, I'm somewhat proud that I only shot 9 rounds. Today we had to prove we knew how to group our shots in the same area on the target. We had to fit a certain percentage of our shots (I forget the ratio) inside a 2 inch diameter circle 25 meters away. My first nine shots were within 2 inches of each other, so I qualified. I then proceeded to do nothing, military style (i.e. stand at attention, read, or watch others shoot).

Sleep is still pretty scarce. Once again, I have fireguard every night this week. Every morning I get up and clean (along with 3 other guys) between 0200 and 0315. Except this time our drill sergeant made our uniform slightly different. We have to wear our LBV's (Load Bearing Vests) and Kevlar helmets while we clean. So, picture 4 guys wearing gray Army sweats and sweatshirts, a camo vest with big pockets and a large Kevlar helmet and chin strap with digital desert camo covering it all. And why? Because they can. Our bays (barracks) are getting inspected this week, so she wanted a good cleaning crew.

And finally, I was "elected" bay leader this past week. The Bay Leader is in charge of everything and everyone in side the barracks. Our last leader was a wannabe drill sergeant, so he didn't do well (especially since he's actually a private). During a platoon training session, the drill sergeant "asked" about how unorganized all of us were. A few people spoke and complained about the bay leader simply ordering everyone around. Then, one person specifically said (his name is Lee) that he thought he knew of someone who would make a great bay leader. DS (drill sergeant) Harris said, "Really? Who?" and Lee said my name.

Here's the funny part: I've managed to lay low the entire time. My drill sergeants barely know my face, let alone my name. So, my heart dropped when she (DS Harris) asked me to step forward.

She asked how many hours of sleep I need per night (mind you, this is in front of the entire platoon) and I replied with "5 hours". Haha. That's funny, huh? Stupid.

Anyways, instantly the previous bay leader says "Non drill sergeant. I'll do what needs to be done." Anyone see why we needed a new bay leader yet? So, he was fired, I was hired.

I've yet to get 4 hours of sleep in one night since. I have many more duties. Thanks, Lee. Anyways, more later.

Benjamin

3 comments:

cindy Mursuli said...

Ben,

I really do feel for you. The good part is, that is does get better. They try to take you to your breaking point
during boot camp. Later, it will all make sense.

Trust God. You are stronger than any of that. Including sleep deprivaton, so just know it will all be over soon.

I am so proud of your choice to serve our country. Like king David, when you are faithful in the small, the Lord will bless you in the much.
So do it all unto the Lord.

I am still praying for you,
Cindy Mursuli

cindy Mursuli said...

Pressing on

Anonymous said...

Ben,

I am really proud of the fact that you are hanging in there. You are doing awesome. Stick it out and you will be stronger than you have ever been. Things that used to make you anxious will seem like a walk in the park. The Lord is your strength and salvation a mighty refuge!..

Do they allow you to smoke cigs in there? (-:

Joe