Wednesday, April 19, 2006

SUNDAY, APRIL 16th

Well, today was absolutely exhausting. So, not much is new! We marched a good 3 miles today with all of our gear. It doesn't sound like much, but it is. We marched to a classroom where we learned how to operate Army radios that were made during World War II. Actually, I don't really know when they were made, but you get the point. After four hours of that, we marched back, ate lunch, and did PT for an hour.

Then came the fun part: we got to fight each other with pugils today. We gear up with a football helmet, thin shoulder pads, kidney pads, an external crotch cup, hockey gloves, and a pugil. The fights were the most entertaining events I've seen since I've been here. The fights only last about one minute, because both fighters are pretty much exhausted after 30 seconds.

Everyone took their aggression on their fellow soldiers. I clobbered my guy. It was great. I feel better now. :)

By the way, pugils are an extension of bayonet training. They are rubbery/foam "clubs" that are the same length and weight as an M16 rifle with a fixed bayonet. So basically, we practiced bayonet fighting on each other.

Anyway, in the middle of that we got smoked. Oh, and I almost forgot. We had a PT assessment today. I did 33 push-ups in one minute, 39 situps in one minute, and I ran a mile in 7:39. So, I'm steadily improving. We just get smoked again before bedtime, so I'm beat.

Goodnight,

Benjamin

1 comment:

Tom Goodwin, G.G. said...

I want to Thank You for enlisting in the United States Army and serving our nation. One thing about "Boot Camp" is to STAY SAFE and follow orders to the letter. Don't try to second guess the Drill Instructors. They actually know what they are doing and WHY! It's all about survival in the midst of combat. Good Luck and hang in there!