Wednesday, May 17, 2006

FRIDAY, MAY 12th

Sorry for the lack of updates. I’ve been quite busy. Let’s see, on the 10th we trained with CCOs (Close Combat Optics) which are basically “red dot” laser scopes. They mount on the M16 and M4 and are ridiculously accurate. I wish we could’ve qualified with those things.

Yesterday, we worked with grenades. There are various colored smoke grenades used for signaling and screening, as well as CS gas grenades, incendiary grenades that heat up and melt through anything you set them on, white phosphorus grenades which appeared in We Were Soldiers with Mel Gibson when one exploded on a soldier’s face and they had to remove the burning tissue with a bayonet (they are chemical grenades that burn whether wet or dry), and finally there’s the M64 explosive grenade.

Throughout the day I threw probably 50 practice grenades and 2 live grenades. We actually qualified with grenades (for badges, just like the rifle) by running a grenade course and throwing grenades according to various scenarios. The practice grenades were the same size and weight as the live grenades, except they were basically firecrackers when they went off. Alright, I’ve been putting it off…I qualified as Expert on the grenade course. There were more Experts on the grenade course than the rifle qualification, but not much. I’m proud. Moving on…

The live grenades. The live grenades are…LOUD and very powerful. Standing about 500 meters away with a large berm between us, I still flinched when every grenade went off. Not only is it louder than every rifle, you feel the compression as if you were right next to the barrel of a gun as if fired. I was very impressed, and nervous. But it’s over now and I’m glad to have experienced throwing two grenades. (You should’ve seen how bad my hands were shaking after I pulled the pin out and prepared to throw.) I’ve never thrown anything so far in my life.

Today, we went to the machine gun range. Tomorrow we will be there as well. We shot three fully automatic machine guns: the M240B, the M249, and the .50 caliber. Holy crap. The M240B and the M249 (also known as “the SAW”) weigh about 17 pounds and are (luckily) mounted on a bipod. The only difference between the two is the caliber: the M240B shoots a 7.62mm or .308 round, while the M240 shoots a .223 round. (I’ve learned so much!)

The .50 caliber, also known as Ma Deuce (for M2) or BFG (for big fucking gun), was awesome. It weights 130 pounds and is mounted on a humvee or a tripod. The rounds are ginormous. Plus, on all the weapons we shot, every fifth round was a tracer so we could see the bullet hit the target.

The M240B and M249 are 60 years old. They are what Sylvester Stallone used in Rambo. Brass, lead, and the clink of metal as the links from our ammo chain fell to the ground. Unfortunately, the drill sergeants wouldn’t let me take the shirt off, but we all know how humiliated ol’ Sly would’ve been if I’d done so. :)

Personally, while I’ve been doing pretty awesome things, I haven’t been doing well the past few days. The environment is really killing me. Drill sergeants yelling, everyone getting stressed out and frustrated, walking in rows, marching, running as fast as you can then standing at the position of attention for hours, etc. I don’t even remember the taste of sugar.

As bay leader, and because of the M16 qualification, everyone knows my name and expects something better from me. It’s funny how, when the pressure goes up, past successes don’t matter as much as present failures. Most everybody is competing for position in terms of the toughest, wisest, and most powerful. Too many chiefs, not enough Indians as somebody once said.

Anyway, off to bed, er, fireguard.

Benjamin

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm very jealous. How big are these toys? I mean, can you fit them in your luggage? The Fish and Game could use a few. When can I put my order in? I can't find any of this stuff in the Cabela's catalog.

We are very proud of you. Mom says, "BE CAREFUL". Remember, HOLD PIN, THROW GRENADE. Very, very important!

We mailed another package today (May 19th).
Love

Mom and Dad