Wednesday, May 17, 2006

SATURDAY, MAY 13th

Today was an interesting day. We went out to the machine gun range again today and shot three more types of weapons. We shot the AT4 anti-tank rocket, the Mark 19 automatic grenade launcher, and the M203 grenade launcher.

The M203 is a grenade launcher that attaches to the bottom of the M16 or M4. It is a single shot launcher that appeared in Black Hawk Down when “the coffee guy” jumped out in front of a turret and blew it up.

The Mark 19 is absolutely awesome. The “bullets” or grenades are linked together by a chain with each round about the size of a small fist. It’s fully automatic and could probably level a city block in 10 seconds. Everyone got to shoot this weapon at the range tanks and fortifications that were set up for our destructive pleasure.

However, only one person in our company got to shoot the AT4 rocket. That privilege was reserved for Top Gun. Yes, I got to blow up an Abrams tank with a rocket launcher today. Remember those war movies when one guy is kneeling with a big green tube on his shoulder and the guy to the side of him taps him on the helmet to let him know he’s ready to fire? Yeah, that’s the weapon.

It’s shoulder-fired and LOUD. I couldn’t see behind me, but I guess the flame was about 12 feet long when I fired. I was nervous because the entire company was watching and rather jealous because I got to fire it. Each round costs close to $10,000 so they are used in training very rarely. Even some of my drill sergeants have never shot one.

The tank was about 250 meters away and I hit it dead on. The satisfaction of seeing that tank erupt in flame is not easily described. I got a round of applause, and two drill sergeants and the first lieutenant complemented me on the shot. (Is it too early to ask for a promotion? :) ) Nah, just kidding, I just had a lot of fun. Truth be told, the darn thing almost knocked me on my butt when I fired it. And, due to my nervous tremors, “aiming” consisted of timing my shot when the sights passed by the target between shakes. Whatever, it was a good Saturday.

We also passed to the next and final phase of Basic: blue phase. This phase has two FTXs, one three day and one five day. (And FTX is when we train out in the field, sleeping in tents, eating MREs, etc.) The five day FTX ends on the last day of Basic before we start AIT. It’s supposed to be a test of everything we’ve learned. I’m nervous.

Also, we get our first pass tomorrow. It’s four hours long and we’re required to get a haircut and get personal hygiene supplies. However, we get to eat whatever we want. I’ve already organized a list of orders from the barracks for orders of pizza that will be delivered to the store while we’re shopping. We’ll probably get smoked after we return, and though I may see my pizza after I eat it, it will be worth it. Plus, the candy isle might be empty after we leave, who knows. Just dreaming about it…good times, good times.

I’ve been to church service every Sunday I’ve been here, but tomorrow I’m going to stay back at the barracks and get some time to myself. I love reading and re-reading the letters I receive from everyone. My parents’ letters have been really encouraging, so those are my favorite. But every letter I get I read at least three times on the day I receive it. They remind me of the people I’d rather be with. :) I do miss home.

Benjamin

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good job Ben!! It's good to hear you're in the final phase of training and almost done with basic. Keep up your sense of humor.

Wow! You got to shoot the AT4. Quite a privilege. Thank God you hit the target ;).

We'll be in touch.

Love

Mom and Dad